Head of Engineering
What’s the role all about?
Cleo's an AI assistant that helps over 1,000,000 people in the UK, US and Canada feel better about their money. She is a fun and engaging personality that talks to you like a real person to help; track spending, set budgeting goals, auto saving money, helping avoid overdraft charges and a whole lot more. We are a fast-growing start-up, backed by the founders of Skype, Transferwise and Zoopla
Watch this to dive a little deeper
In the past year we’ve scaled the team from 6 to 35, launched in North America, closed a $10m Series A led by Balderton Capital, and scaled to over 1,000,000 users. We’re building a world-leading team as we grow, driving us toward 10 million users over the coming 12 months
We're looking for a truly exceptional technical leader to drive Cleo to the next stage of its development. You should be an outlier in building, running, and getting the most out of world-class engineering teams. You should either have done it before (scaled a rapidly growing tech startup) or are ready to take on that challenge as the next step in your career
This is a hands-on, high-profile role that will be pivotal in the company's future success. You'll get to lead a world class team and work on a product used religiously by hundreds of thousands of customers every week
What you’ll be doing:
You'll lead 2-week long sprints with goals aligned to overall quarterly targets; manage and coach technical leads across backend, frontend and data science; and write exemplarily code and define our future architecture.
Some of our core product objectives are:
- Natural Language Processing: making Cleo indistinguishable from a human financial assistant.
- Transaction Enrichment: understanding and perfectly categorising all banking data Cleo receives.
- Investments: building the future of automated once click investments with Cleo.
- Trading: free stocks and share trading at the tap of a button.
- Overdraft protection: one of the most insidious financial products - we're working on a way to stop users being ripped off by egregious charges.
- Rewards: shop at your favourite merchants to get instant cashback.
- Insights: learn about your spending in real time to help you achieve your financial goals.
- Savings: From automated savings to goals to budgeting, Cleo makes it easy to save more money.
- Core Platform: Scaling to millions of active users. We need great engineers constantly improving our infrastructure and peering round the corner.
- Ruby on Rails
- Python (ML)
- Amazon Sagemaker
What are we looking for?
- are a Ruby developer with at least 6 years’ experience in a backend role.
- can reduce complex problems to simple solutions consistently.
- enjoy making those around you better engineers.
- are excited by what we're building at Cleo; you are product-focused and care about making our users’ lives better.
Advantageous, but not essential;
- Experience with React
- Experience scaling platforms growing at pace (Postgres / Rails)
How long does all this take?
- Quick phone call with a member of our team to find out more about your experience and why you want to work at Cleo
- Short take-home test
- Onsite interview:
- Technical discussion with a senior engineer
- Pairing on an interesting problem
- Meet the CEO/COO
What do you get for all your hard work?
Cleo is an excellent place to work:
- An above market compensation package (Base + Equity). We're prepared to pay for the very best
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups anywhere in the world. We recently closed a really successful Series A with Balderton who join a formidable investor base including the people behind Skype, Transferwise, Zoopla, Lovefilm, Climate corporation, SongKick and others
- The team is exceptional. You'll get to work with brilliantly forward-thinking and dedicated individuals every day
- Our mission is standout. We want to radically improve everyone’s relationship with money. We're not maximising the time consumers spend in a feed, getting fast food delivered, or building an incrementally better bank. We're changing an industry in a visceral way, which you get to see every day in our customer feedback
- We're an equal opportunity employer and put a lot of focus on ensuring there is an open environment for everyone